Saturday, July 17, 2010

Abba Changes Everything

My sweet boss recommended that I read an article in July's issue of Christianity Today.  The article had some great thoughts on adoption, evangelism, spiritual warfare, and orphans.  You can click HERE to read the full article.

"The gospel of adoption challenges us, first of all, to recognize ourselves as spiritual orphans.  The gospel compels us to see our fallen universe - and our own egocentric kingdoms therein - as not the way it's supposed to be."  - Russell D. Moore

And just as we are to do something about others not knowing our true Abba, Father....those spiritual orphans....we are also to do something about those without families.

"Not every Christian is called to adopt or foster a child. But every Christian is called to care for orphans." - Russell D. Moore

I am just going to be honest....and this is coming from a completely non-judgemental view.....but sometimes I want this quote to be different.  I want families to really think about adoption or fostering.  I do believe there are many ways to help the orphan situation.....other than adopting or fostering.   But, I truly believe there are many out there that think of adopting but just chalk it up to "but we could never do that."  But, the great thing is...you can!!!  We were so scared (and still are :) )  but with God's great grace and mercy... we are doing this!! and so can you.

I think sometimes adoption is a little more accepted in various places.  We do get "the look" sometimes.  You know...the look .....like you are a little strange and maybe a little crazy. Like...I know that adoption might be great for you but that is just not for me.  I know...some view adopting (especially when it is a choice) as crazy.  But to us....it is just the next step and this is how God is forming our family.  If you are reading this...please stop and consider adoption or fostering.  If you are the praying type...just ask God to show you His plan.  I pray for boldness because it can be very scary and overwhelming.  The night we decided to adopt from Ethiopia...I stayed awake all night thinking "what have we done?????" :)  

But, God can do amazing things...sometimes we just have to step out of our comfort zones and allow Him to use us.  Ah, I am so not good at this.  But, I can tell you I feel more at peace about this adoption than anything else in my life.  God has amazing plans and doesn't necessarily need us...but, thankfully He chooses to use us.  I want to try and open myself up to be used by Him.  I have tasted what it is like to be 100% open to Him and I LOVE how free it feels.  Praying some hearts would be open to adoption tonight...especially in our area.

Thanks for reading my Saturday Night Ramblings.....Good Night!!!

No comments: