Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Be Strong and Courageous

(This message is posted by Russ, the other member of the Polsgrove family. He doesn't post very much, he knows, but is glad to do it whenever he gets a chance.)

I've vowed to take a detailed look at the Old Testament over the next year. I actually started around Thanksgiving instead of New Years Day. Every day there is more to read, more to look at, more to learn. Interestingly enough, this morning's passage was one I've read lots of times. It's one of my favorite passages of scripture.

Deuteronomy 33-Joshua 1 tells the story of Joshua taking over for Moses. It's a passing of the torch. Joshua faces a tremendous task. He is now the leader of an enormous amount of people. He must be scared. God tells him to "Be strong and courageous" three times in a span of four verses. It's God's promise that he will be with Joshua through the massive change in his life.

No matter what you feel about the man who became President today, you have to admit that a massive change has happened in this country. Whether you believe it's for good or bad, God's message is this. "Be strong and courageous. I am here for you whenever you need me." I know this is true for me. Because I have set my feet on the rock that is Jesus, God says to me that he is there for me. There is nothing to fear. I will celebrate change. Because I know that nothing falls outside the eye of Almighty God.

3 comments:

MinivanMama said...

well said, Russ. God's truth is always encouraging. Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

Nice post.. The Lord has used that passage in our lives several times over the last 12 years to comfort us in the face of change.

Heather said...

Ah, I do love the OT. Corey has often had to remind me that the NT even exists.

I know. I am a geek. A wannabe Jewish geek at that.