Saturday, January 23, 2010

January 8th

My friend Margaret is a videographer and she wants to do a video of Lucy's Story.  On January 8th...we were sitting together discussing the major things we wanted in the video and what we wanted the message of the video to be.  She asked the question....When did you come to like the name Lucy?

I began to search through old journals....I found the entry of when we decided on the name for our daughter that we would adopt  but...I came across another journal entry.  One from years ago.  I began to read the entry...then I looked at the date.  That's right....Janurary 8, 2006.  4 years to the day.  I hadn't realized how long ago God placed her in our hearts.  This entry is not in reference to adoption...just naming our first female child...however she came to be ours.

January 8, 2006 (excerpt from my old journal)
***Please forgive the wordiness of this entry....I tend to write like I talk...which involves many words :)


        Today has been a good day.  In church we sang We Three Kings...westward, leading still proceding..guide us to thy perfect light.  Last week when we had "the kid" (child we kept for a weekend from a local children's home) we took him to see the Chronicles of Narnia.  I love the character Lucy.  I thought then that I would like to name my child this.  At April's wedding on Dec. 31, we sat with a couple from Memphis.  They were telling us about their child.  I asked her name and they replied Lucy.  They said that they knew and loved her name before she was even conceived. 
        Later that week, we went to exchange the Bible that Russ had given me for Christmas.  While we were at the store, I started reading this book that gives all the good quotes from C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.  I found this quote and loved it.  I want Rossetti to do a painting for our daughter whenever she comes along...hopefully years but whenever..God's timing is right.  As of right now, I still love the name Lucy.


(Prince Caspian p. 148)
"Welcome, child, " he said.
"Aslan," said Lucy, "you're bigger."
"that is because you are older, little one." answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not.  But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."


As Aslan being a reference to Jesus, this would be my prayer for my child.

And today, fours years later from when this was written, this is still my prayer.

Oh, and Rossetti, I think it's time we started on this painting.  Hopefully, it won't be long now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe there is a lot of concern over corruption in Ethiopian adoption. Do you have any concerns? Do you feel confident based on research? Are you aware of claims of child trafficking and fraud? I don't mean any disrespect. I am someone who has considered an international adoption. The more I read about it, the more I am turned away. I would really like it if you could post your thoughts to this question.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-illegal-child-trafficking-of-ethiopian-children.html

Russ said...

While there is some concern, I have actually seen the ABC Australia news report, our agency is careful to follow all the International Hague Convention guidelines which were constructed to help protect children and families from exploitation and child trafficking.

I would love to talk with you about the process we've been through. If you ever wanted to contact me I'm always available.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your response. I enjoy your blog and in no way wanted to be offensive. I really hope I wasn't. Adoption discussion is dichotimized into such seperate camps. There seems to be little in between. It's either wonderful or horrible, depending on the sources you seek. I am glad your agency is following Hague guidelines on international adoption. I hope all goes well as you continue your journey to bring your daugher home.